It’s been quite a while, baby!

And yet, it doesn’t feel like so long. Have you ever been in situations like that?
The past year was a bit of a mixed bag. It was the year of discovery for me. Learning about who I was and what sort of person I can be under all sorts of situations. I am lucky to have found someone who has stuck with me through this all. Now, now, don’t faint. A girl is entitled to have her romances and yes, keep it to herself. I’d just like to credit him for helping me through all this. He’s kept me sane and worked through a lot of the bullshit. He didn’t freak or run. And because he is such a stellar guy, added to some of my stress. You damned man! But for all that it is, Thank You *Hugs*

Dancing went to a totally new dimension. I am really lucky to be dancing with really awesome salsa team. The DanceUnlimited journey was demanding and has taken us from freakish amateurs to performers who danced at some of the best festivals around the region. 
 

Those costumes! Gah!

From China, to Thailand to India, we just got better and better and yes, the costumes, skimpier. Any self-esteem issues that I had earlier are much diminished! There is never a dull moment when these guys are around and some of our shenanigans have burned itself into my memory forever!

As for West Coast Swing, somewhere along the way, I started enjoying the dance for itself. Grooving to the music and simply letting go J  
The amazing peeps who kept the passion burning!
 
Starting out was kind of hard but along the way, I made new and firm friends with the people in the WCS community in Singapore and two special friends from Adelaide. I also took part in my very first Jack & Jill! Super nerve wracking and of course I didn’t do all that well. It’s my first time! Dammit.

Work-wise, I was good, I was bad, I was up, down, trying to find that feeling again. Thanks to Barry Manilow, I have the right words. For someone who’s never viewed her job as simply a job, this was a terrible blow. In all my years, I have never experienced such an intense period of self-doubt and was continually forced to examine and re-examine if what I was doing was the right thing. Was it only me?
 
Parts of it, definitely, but I am not accepting all the damned blame. I’m no doormat. For me, work is about doing the job to the best of your ability.  Not about the drama. I’ve always been open-minded about my career and take in criticism and feedback to improve. The stick in my craw is being criticized repeatedly. Every mistake is highlighted, sometimes publicly, from the big ones to the tiniest – what is the point of this? It’s like no one here ever makes a mistake. I totally get how Bill Murray felt in Groundhog Day now. Constantly being told that “you are good, but just not good enough” is enough to dishearten the most optimistic person. At the end of the day, it was a ‘good’ thing that my mum’s medical situation acted up. As much as I liked some of the people that I worked with, I don’t think I could have taken this treatment much longer. Everyone has a threshold and mine was at its end.
 
My lifeline, my crazy bunch of friends, family and loved ones helped me stay sane and liquored up throughout it all. I don’t have to see you all the time to know that you are there for me. I’m a bit of an oddball for sure. But you guys have been a lifeline no matter which part of the world you come from J I’m letting the pictures speak for themselves this time….

Well, you can't get them all
This New Year brings the start of new adventures. New things to look forward to and new challenges to overcome – I’m looking forward to them. Starting on a clean slate is always good. The quest to grow should be driven by what you want and how you can achieve it. Criticism should be taken in and then used to pave new and braver roads ahead J Here’s to a great 2013!


posted under , , , , |

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
Ever prodded a sleeping dragon, only to have it whip up and bite you in the ass? Well, neither have I. But I advocate that you should try everything...once ;P

Followers

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Search This Blog