Dear God, save me from idiots

I've always wondered, what makes us stay in strange relationships that are bad?

Deep down, we all want to be loved and have the capacity to give ourselves to others but how do we know when to quit something that isn't right? How far or how long will your patience last before it breaks? 


I look at my friends and see that they have amazing wells of patience. One of them actually had the capacity to sit and face something akin to the Spanish Inquisition from a woman he barely knew. I honestly don't know where he gets it but if I were in his shoes, I'd have told her to fuck off after she fired her first round of questions. The only reason he doesn't do so, is because he likes her.


In liking someone, we get mushy-headed. We all feel the need to give people a chance. Be it in a new relationship or at work, its human nature to give the other party the benefit of the doubt. I do it...a lot. Particularly when I'm in a relationship. Friends have told me that sometimes I put up with too much idiocy for my own good. It took me a really long time to face up to the fact that I do.

When I like someone, I like taking the time to get to know them and their idiocyncracies. I'll sit back and see how they react to others, or what they will do and say in certain situations. Asking questions can only get you so far, but watching people's behaviour and reactions? That is hard to hide.  

Me, I don't have much patience to start off with. I'm impatient and mouthy but somehow, in new relationships, I will suddenly develop patience. Funny, right? 

I've come to realize one thing though: the older I get, the less I am willing to put up with bullshit. Call it a stage of maturity but really, if the guy can't talk to me, can't be himself around me or can't even stick around long enough, I'm gone.  And if he suddenly decides to be an Inquisitor, he better be ready to face the same.

But back to the question. How much or how long are you willing to endure their nonsense before you decide it's enough? Are you able to see that person for who they are and still like them? Are they willing to take all your nonsense? Will you want to work through the issues with this person or choose to simply walk away? 

For me, its a matter of seeing how much a person's baggage goes with mine and are they willing to make the change with me? After all the experiences that I've had, I learned is to value me. If something makes me unhappy, I have the power to change it. I deserve better and it's up to me to get my happy show on the road.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
Ever prodded a sleeping dragon, only to have it whip up and bite you in the ass? Well, neither have I. But I advocate that you should try everything...once ;P

Followers

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Search This Blog