Is this the real life, is it just fantasy?

Six seasons on and we bid goodbye to one of the best looking all-female casts on TV.

Who knew that a TV series about lesbians in Los Angeles can garner so much attention? Sad to say, Singaporeans will never be able to catch this unless you download it or watch it off your pirated DVDs.

The L-Word started off on the heels of Queer as Folk and boy, did it catch on. Apart from its really hot cast, what caught my interest was the writing and the acting. Yes, so this is about alternative lifestyles and it took me some time to get over the sex scenes but at the end of the day, I found myself being drawn into the character’s lives and stories. All thanks of course, to The Thing who introduced the series to me.

Admittedly, some of the storylines are similar to what is stereotypical but then again, the smart script and the actors themselves just draw you in, making you part of their intimate circle. It is the details of the stories and the backgrounds of the characters that stand out.

There is the lesbian athlete who refuses to leave her closet, the straight girl who sought greener pastures and then there is the woman who identifies as a man, gets involved with a gay man and ends up pregnant by him. Confused? Hell, I was. Despite these elements, what came across was that these people are just like you and I. Although some may face a different set of challenges, you end up feeling for them. Most importantly, nothing came across as tawdry or cheap.

The actresses themselves are accomplished in their own right and this adds to the draw of the show. I found myself watching it voraciously, laughing and crying along with the characters. At the end of the show, a major character makes the decision to leave with her partner for New York. When asked why she is leaving, she remarked that perhaps she needs a change of scene, because it feels like everyone is living in everyone else’s pockets.

Much as I love my friends, sometimes it sure feels like that too. We just know too much about each other’s lives, which is both good and bad. Good because we can always be there in time of need but bad because sometimes, we just don’t know when to shut up. Once in a while, I take a breather and step back from things just so I can get a better perspective.

Ultimately, there is no ideal scenario when it comes to friends. It’s just comforting to know that despite your differences, there will always be someone who will be your sounding board, and who has your back.

posted under , , |

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
Ever prodded a sleeping dragon, only to have it whip up and bite you in the ass? Well, neither have I. But I advocate that you should try everything...once ;P

Followers

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Search This Blog