Given to fly

This has year in music has been a relatively slow year in music for me as most of the stuff churned out this year didn't seem to really sink in. The good stuff came from all over the place and I have to mention that one of the albums that almost made the list was Givin It Up by George Benson & Al Jarreau. I say almost because I don't put the compilations or greatest hits into the list...

Bands that I usually like such Jet, Kasabian, Snow Patrol, Keane and even The Killers seem to be in some sort of weird time warp. Yes, they released albums that were pleasing but that's precisely the problem. The albums were pleasing - a good effort with nothing great to shout about.

I had a hard time filling this year's list of my favourite 10, and the list this time is eclectic, if any. Surprises - well, I can safely say that this year, no one will faint. I hope :P

10.
The Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. Like the Netizens around the world, all it took was a download and it was love. The album has a lot more to offer than I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor...

9.
Scissor Sisters - Ta-Dah! The one album that was infectious as all hell and got me to put on my dancing shoes. If I wasn't a girl, I'd most probably be a...

8.
Take That - Beautiful World. This is an ode to an old favourite but the boys have definately gotten better with age and are miles better than Westlife and the droll Boyzone. We finally get to hear Jason sing! Robbie, who?

7.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium. They attempted to get funky with Hump de Bump and continue on a winning streak with this double album. A band still a force to be reckoned with today.

6.
Prince - 3121. If sexy never left the building, how the hell can Mr Timberlake claim to bring it back? Severely underrated and monstrously satisfying :o)

5.
Placebo - Meds. The Brian Molko's voice is still as grating as ever and sometimes serves to remind us that not everything is as shiny and as beautiful as it seems. Kind of like a musical Nip/Tuck...

4.
Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit. Caught me by surprise and I actually like it more and more because it's not as depressing as 2003's Dear Catastrophe Waitress. Hah!

3.
Jarvis - Jarvis Cocker. Pulp was one of the most underrated bands of the 90s and are sorely missed in today's manufactufed pop world. Thank God for Jarvis... oh and Weird Al, who came really close. Ya, ya, so I have a thing for werid white guys, bite me.

We're almost at the end...and I must say that if my list were just the two of what I thought were the absolutely best albums this year, it'll be these two. Jostling for space for almost permanent rotation on my iPod:

2.
The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers. Jack, no matter what color your last name is, you seem to have talent in spades. Where The White Stripes have gone more experimental with their last release, these guys are just balls out rock...I love, love

1.
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations. Well, paint me blue can call me converted...a monstrously brilliant album full of raunchy guitars, strong vocals, and an impenetrable wall of sound loaded with delicacy. Totally unlikely, but supremely worthy. I never though Matt Bellamy had it in him..."Starlight" and "Supermassive Black Hole" are two of my favourite tracks of the year... I can't wait to see them here next month!

And you didn't think I had it in me...you should be ashamed!

posted under , |

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
Ever prodded a sleeping dragon, only to have it whip up and bite you in the ass? Well, neither have I. But I advocate that you should try everything...once ;P

Followers

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Search This Blog