Simplicity, it's not that complicated

A wise man once said, “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” Why, I cannot agree more, Confucius.

As we journey along our lives, I increasingly feel that we place too much importance on the material, the shallow; how much status we have, how big our egos are and what people think about us. How utterly tiring and mundane! What happened to just living life simply, to being honest to ourselves about what we want and how we want to live our lives?

It is so easy to fall into the trappings of society’s demands that we lose sight of what we truly want and how to pursue it. We cleave to the rules set out by strangers who feel that achieving all we can is limiting or that if you achieve too much or even deign to celebrate your achievements it stands to make others jealous or insecure. There is so much red tape, expectations and ground rules… What. The. Hell?

We forget the simple things; that we need to connect with people recharge us emotionally. We lose sight of the things that truly make us happy in order to pursue yet another material gain or obsession. Learning or facing challenges are not things to hide from but to embrace in order to grow, spiritually, emotionally and physically. We need to remember that being happy is not something you achieve alone. It is something that also reaches out to touch others, making us feel alive, loved and also appreciated.

Do you remember what it’s like to spend time with people who listen, hold and talk to you without judgment? Or to sit at your favorite coffee shop to sip that fresh brew while you catch up on the news or even chat with other patrons?

When I was home recently, it was refreshing to let go of all societal nonsense just to be with my friends and family. The mask that I put on for people who hardly know, yet judge me was chucked aside. I am free again, I can feel again and most importantly I am me.  Holding up that mask is strenuous! My question to you is, when do you fling that aside so that you can just breathe?

In experiencing this, I’ve decided to look at things slightly differently. I will focus on things that make me happy… whether it is just telling someone I love them or just talking to the people who matter the most, it is the authenticity of the experience that makes me feel alive. I will not hide from who I am but will approach life with the vivacity that I would like to achieve. I believe that you find yourself when you embrace things at a more simple level. When you cut out the complications, you can truly live. Andddd…. If all that fails, just pick up a mike and karaoke LOL :)

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
Ever prodded a sleeping dragon, only to have it whip up and bite you in the ass? Well, neither have I. But I advocate that you should try everything...once ;P

Followers

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Search This Blog